Friday, July 31, 2009

Total Princess



"I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this. Have a nice day."

This morning, I watched Hercules for the first time in full. When I was younger I tried to watch it and for some reason, it wasn't happening. It couldn't have been all the pop culture references because Aladdin was chock full of them and I used to watch that one fairly often. The characters seemed alright too and the songs that I remembered hearing were also okay. I even had a Hercules backpack when I was younger so what was my reason?

I do remember a LOT of publicity and TV specials were on to promote it including one with Michael Bolton singing so I think that that's what turned me off from it. Damn you Michael Bolton for delaying me nearly ten years later from watching this movie!

Hercules is quite good. Based on the Greek god (with obvious liberties taken to the story), catchy songs, James Woods makes a mean Hades.

But enough about that; Megara or Meg is a totally awesome witty sarcastic girl with an awesome hairstyle that reminds me of an early foreshadowing of the Amy Winehouse/Chanel advertisements beehive hairdo.

So today I decided to take a comprehensive Quizilla quiz on what Disney princess I am. Typically in these quizzes I am equated with Belle because of the whole brunette who loves to read persona. I like Belle so this is fine. Every now and then, I even get my personal favorite, Cinderella. Usually I have to be a pretty optimistic mood for that to happen though.

But this is the first time I was ever declared to be...



Ariel: spunky, adventurous, leaps before looking, determined, and independent. You tend to defy authority and seek your own path. You are fascinated with the world and curious about everything.

Hmm.
Interesting.

I'm willing to admit that up until recently when I started watching The Little Mermaid again, I did not like Ariel. She gave up her voice for a man (albeit a handsome one) which bothered me for the longest time. Then again, this is a 16 year old girl who gets swoony over a guy she doesn't really know so I can't necessarily say that if a sea witch gave me the option to get him without my voice, I wouldn't do the same.

They also got married awfully fast...and Ariel was once again, 16. Yikes. As Carrie Bradshaw once said, "I'm missing the bride gene. I should be put into a test tube and studied."

On more recent viewings, I've come to like Ariel a little bit more. I'm not over the moon for her or anything but I do admire her adventurous spirit and willingness to jump into the water, regardless of whatever danger may be in it.

So if I'm an Ariel, then I'm kinda happy with it. Breaks me out of my predictable Belle shell.

Love to you all,
Heather

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, i had no idea disney princess coould be analyzed, bu yes i agree with what you said about Ariel. Hmmmm, what am i?
XOXOXO
Libby
http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com

Heather Taylor said...

Hmm, I don't know! The link for the quiz is right here and it's pretty comprehensive:
http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/153663/which-disney-princess-are-you-a-true-psychological-test

Let me know how you do!
xo Heather