Friday, November 14, 2008

Starberries (wouldn't that be swell?)


I do so love Dita von Teese. I first heard about her several years ago when she was dating Marilyn Manson. As a former Manson junkie, I always (and still do) kept up with his personal life and was very pleased with his new girlfriend whom I consider to be one of the best dressed women today. I also loved that her real name is Heather Sweet.
Dita is a famous burlesque dancer who brings to mind fetish vivens like Bettie Page. The martini glass is her signature, she bathes with a big stuffed olive.
She is extremely fashionable and has a tiny waist (17 inches when corseted). She is bringing back the return to glamour, the look of the sophisticated lady which is sorely lacking in today's woman.


Eve from WALL-E. Today was my brother Earl's birthday and I sent him this picture. The artist is Amy Mebberson, a very creative woman who has drawn for Disney and Tokyopop. She currently has a set of illustrations of Disney girl pinups that I adore.
Over the summer, I went with Earl, Neil, and Ethan to see the movie. This is a rarity for all four of us to see the same movie together as Neil and Ethan are still young but great lovers of action/cartoon flicks. Earl doesn't go see movies too often and prefers to rent them instead and I am perpetually in a dark room with my indie and foreign films. So for the 4 of us to see a movie together was interesting. It was stunning, the best Pixar film yet.
The other day, I was sewing and listening to the WALL-E soundtrack by Thomas Newman and I decided that I would send Earl a picture of Eve. Eve is a beautiful girl robot who falls in love with shy little WALL-E and Earl liked her immensely.
She's a cutie.


On Monday, my big book of Edward Steichen photography arrived. Oh my, it was positively salivating. Steichen was a photographer for Vogue and Vanity Fair during the '20's and '30's and did many famous shots of people like Greta Garbo, Gary Cooper, Walt Disney, and Amelia Earhart. It is an absolutely delicious book, I find myself thumbing through it all throughout the day. Steichen's photos are like no one else's, filled with light, shadows, and beautiful poses. The above photo is of an unknown woman but look at the dress! How progressive for such an era!
P.S. I also bought my Influence book today. Oh joy!



This is one of my favorite music videos ever.




No Regrets is a perfume that both my mother and I own. It's by Alexander de Markoff and the bottle itself is inscribed with phrases:
"No time like the present"
"She who has never loved has never lived"
"Riches are for spending"
"The loving are the daring"
"The heart has it's reasons which reason knows nothing of"
"No time like the present"
"I can resist everything except temptation"
"Let those who have always loved now love the more"
"Love conquers all things"
"There can never be too much of a good thing"

I carry a tiny vial on me at all times along with another vial of perfume, usually Van Cleef and Arpels.


"Oh Heather, last night I saw the most interesting movie on HBO."
"What was it?"
"It was called Bernard and Doris and it had Susan Sarandon playing this heiress and by the end of the movie, she completely changes. And so does her servant, Ralph Fiennes."
"How so?"
"It's hard to explain. You'll have to watch it with me tonight."
"Sure."
A little conversation between my Mom and me. She doesn't know this but after I watched Bernard and Doris, I got a little Ralph (pronounced Rafe) crazy. I watched The English Patient multiple times and even rented some of his little known works like The Chumscrubber at Blockbuster.
I wish I knew what I found so fascinating about him but it's so hard to put my finger on. I love his accent and his English mannerisms. Almost all of my great grandparents and ancestors hail from Wales, England so I'm naturally drawn to the English. He is very versatile. You could fall completely in love with him one moment (Wuthering Heights) and be terrified of him the next (Schindler's List). But those eyes...oh wow, what a beauty.
Listening to:
-The Cure Fascination Street
-Ferry Corsten Beautiful
-Kaiser Chiefs Oh My God
Love to you all,
Heather

No comments: