Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Staples of My Wardrobe



Quoting a line from the movie Amelie, "Times are hard for dreamers."

I'm a dreamer so I guess the sentiment above is appropriate for me. Things have been difficult lately. Job hunting has been worsening much to the chagrin of the split part of me who is keenly aware that reality is rearing its ugly head. Soon. The other half of me, well, she's lost it. She's nearly to the point where all she wants to do is run from state to state, living some sort of drifter lifestyle. So for every job I do not get, this portion of myself sees it as a sign that it wasn't destined to be. Which is well and all but I do need some sort of income to pay my rent.

Furthermore, if I get one more prospective employer who tells me that they have no positions available at the current time, but "we love your blog" I will scream until the entire country hears me. That is not beneficial to me. My blog is my writing lifeline, but it doesn't earn a revenue. I'd sooner chew on glass than bombard my personal writing space with advertisements and coupons. So I'd rather hear "We love your blog and would like to have your voice work with us" instead of "We love your blog and want to drain you of your ideas for a position that doesn't pay you."

The family life has been bad too. My grandpa is in the hospital right now and suffered from cardiac arrest yesterday. It's looking very unlikely that he'll make it and my Mom is extremely upset because he's her father. I'm one of the very few people I know who has all 4 of her grandparents still alive and I'm upset because that side of the family is the kind side. He was always very kind to me and I can't do anything to help because I'm too far away.

Also, nobody in my family wants to buy me a bed. This is a minor detail on the list, but significant because my parents do not believe that I'll stay in one place for very long. They told me they think I'll be constantly moving in the next 5 years. Which alarms me because I don't doubt it. There's a part of me that doesn't want to live out of a suitcase and wants a stable address and home. There's a separate part of me that just wants to run from place to place.

Mostly, I just want to run to a garden or park and stay hidden in a treehouse or fort. On the road to maturity, here I go.

When I'm upset, what generally makes me feel better is to get dressed up. Look pretty, smile at myself, and reassure that mirror image of me that hey you, things are going to be good today!

This leads me to discuss the staples of my wardrobe. My signature pieces I could never do without.

The White Blouse



It's a classic that is utterly versatile, all places and events considered. I tend to wear the ones that button up and incorporate a bow or ruffle. I enjoy blouses in jewel tones too, but none of them compare to the plain white blouse. It's a treasure.



However, sometimes when I feel more romantic on a gray afternoon, I look for something less white, more decayed in coloring, and with some intricate embroidering.

The Pencil Skirt



It cinches in at the waist, emphasizing all of your greatest gifts on both the top and bottom while making you look incredibly trim and small. Bless this skirt, it never looks dowdy and transcends the ages.

Opaque Stockings



It could be 110 degrees outside and I'd still wear them. No matter what. This is one staple I wear year round.

Dress Pants



I never wear jeans and seldom wear pants (this girl lives in her skirts). However, dress pants are always winners in my book. Perfectly crisp and tailored to fit just right.

High-Waisted Shorts



I wear a pair (slightly shorter than these) with a belt.

The Blazer



It is both masculine and feminine and utterly perfect always. Note the heels, heels are fairly important to me as well.



Now she looks alarmingly like me!

The Trench Coat



I have one in red, but really with all trenches, you can be chic...



...and sexy.

Locket



They're small and simple. I like heart-shaped jewelry.

Red Lipstick



Honestly, where would I be without it?

Finally, I have no idea who this woman is, but she's definitely a style inspiration of mine...



Love to you all,
Heather

27 comments:

Hello Naka said...

ahh i love the blouse and skirt and red lipstick :3
nice post ^^

Diana Mieczan said...

Blouses like that are just so stylish and paired up with a red lipstick ...perfection!
Kisses sweetie and have a great day :)
Ps: amazing post!!!!

English Rose ♥ said...

Im so sorry to hear about your grandad heather, i hope he'll be okay

Merci beaucoup for your wonderful comment darling =]

Stay safe and chic ma chérie,
English Rose x
http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

Bathwater said...

That would be a really awkward thing to here from a potential employer, "we like your blog". At least for me, I'd be like which part the attempted suicide 5 part series or the endless stripper stories. :(.

Somethings are better left private :).

Andrew said...

I miss living out of a suitcase....
Chase that dream while you can!

WendyB said...

Sorry about your grandfather...

Anonymous said...

i love blazers.

Jo said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I understand what you mean about wanting to settle down but keep moving at the same time, and being torn between the two. The right choice is the one that makes you feel happiest. Your gut will tell you what is right for you.

I admire that through all of this you're able to think happy thoughts (your fabulous wardrobe pics) and step outside of the situations, if only for a moment or two. That's a good skill to have....it saves one's sanity! ;)

xox

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Trenchcoat, good pair of jeans, white tshirt, jean jacket...those are some of my staples! Great new header :)

Tiffany Kadani said...

So sorry that things aren't going well. I hope you feel better.

And your list is absolutely fabulous I would stop you in the street and compliment you.

just call me jo said...

Love your fashion sense. You must be tall and thin. (I see "people like you" who can put interesting pieces together and look fabulous. I look like an unmade bed when I do that.) I'm SHORT and not so thin, alas.
Sorry about your grandfather. There's so little to say though I sense the suffering.
When we were unemployed earlier this year I felt like selling it all and just drifting too. I don't know why we do that. It must go back to our primitive, survival skills.
Your blog is just the right blend of joy and sarcasm. I like...

Unknown said...

You had all the basics; trench coat, blazer, tights, dress pants, pencil skirt, heels, and blouse. I am sorry about your unemployment, I can only imagine how bad it is - it worries me for when my time comes.
Libby
http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com

Ally said...

so sorry to hear about your grandpa :(

i too have been job hunting - since september, i am almost giving up now. there truly is nothing out there, it's so scary. most of my friends are either laid off, took massive pay cuts at their jobs to keep their jobs or are about to be laid off. :(

hang in there! ps i love opaque stockings and wear them in the hottest weather if i need to, i hate sheer stockings!

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Amelie is one of my faves film!
stunning & understated look ~LUV it!
xo*

Frannie said...

I really love your blog and I'm so glad I found it. I'm really sorry about your grandfather and don't mind about your parents. I feel like you're at the point where if you really want to drift for awhile you should. You do not HAVE to do anything. I'm pretty sure I will probably drift for like a year after graduation. All you need to do is have a plan.

Good luck!

☮ midnightintern ☮ said...

Honey I felt so sad reading this! But I totally agree about the power of expressing yourself through clothes as a way of keeping your chin up. I hope things start going better for you, sounds like you're going through a pretty horrendous patch. Your comments on my blog always cheer me up, and I love catching up on your new posts :)

x

JoJo said...

I don't know what I'd do without my pencil skirts, opaque stockings and trench coat! Spot on!
Also, the woman in the picture is Olivia Palermo, a NYC socialite and yes, a fashion icon.

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather :/ That's great that you have all of your wonderful wardrobe essentials to get you dressed up and help you feel better. That's definitely a good attitude to have!

Missed Periods said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

little luxury list said...

Good vibes for you granddad!

Your taste is always classic and chic.

A native NYer, I settled back there for a few years after college. Then came 2008 to now - France, Singapore, and the UK. It's been a ride and I can't believe i'm living in Asia, but it's been a great time.

Jo said...

Yep, I'm leaving a second comment on the same post. ;)

I watched Casablanca last night and couldn't help but think about how stylish women of that era were. And then I thought about your post and about your wardrobe staples. Very chic! You've inspired me to do a wardrobe overhaul!!

By the by, I have a little award for you over at my blog! :)

ticklishfromadistance said...

I always wear a heart locket. Love it.

Propoquerian said...

Heather, I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I know it's hard to be physically away from your family right now, and even more so when you feel so emotionally scattered in general at the moment! Things will work out for you Heather--don't close the doors to unexpected jobs--in the music industry, as a librarian (you'd be a hot one in that wardrobe!)--something that keeps you amongst interesting people and interesting stories that can inspire your writing and just help you keep feeling alive! I wish you look, i'll be thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

love that movie !

Lauren said...

these are some GREAT staples!

Amber said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I think you should go out on and build that fort. There's something really comforting about them. Especially if you drink a juice box while you're inside.

Anonymous said...

Nice staples!

That girl is Olivia Palermo. I'm obsessed with her style. (Note: If you search my Tumblr for her name, you'll see many more photos. She's so chic.)

- Cara-Mia
literateandstylish.tumblr.com