Thursday, January 14, 2010

Give Me Your Heart and I Promise to Keep it Safe



Things seem to be getting worse before they get better.

Worldwide, as you all know, the country of Haiti suffered a tremendous earthquake on Tuesday. This would gravely affect the lives of anyone no matter where it happened, but Haiti is a third-world country. The quake caused several UN buildings to collapse including the headquarters in Port-au-Prince. They do not have the resources or finances that other countries are privileged to have so recovery for them must be as fast as possible. President Obama has already pledged to have money donated to the country and the first lady Michelle is also encouraging those to donate towards the relief effort.

Even though I myself don't have much money, I feel very much the need to give what I can. I get my paycheck tomorrow so I'm setting aside some money towards those in need. It is during times of crisis that we should not forget one another and by giving, even just a small amount, we really do help and create a difference in the lives of others.

At my job, the big topic of conversation is not Haiti but rather the NBC/Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien debacle. One of the women I work with has a son who is a staff writer for Conan and says that the news does not look good for the show at all. The network is threatening to bar him from being aired because Conan refused to take the 12:05 slot.

I adore Conan O'Brien and was fortunate enough to attend a taping of his show last summer. Little did I know it could potentially be the last time I get a chance to do so. Conan has refused to take the slot so that Jay Leno can get his old spot back and I fully stand by Conan's decision. NBC has made a complete mess out of The Tonight Show and as everyone in my office agrees, no one is going to be the winner here.



On the home front, my brother Earl is leaving home to join the Navy on Tuesday. He will go through basic training in Illinois and then move to Pensacola, Florida to work there for four years on the computer systems.

I'm very proud of him and excited for all that he will see and do, but I get antsy. He is my kid brother after all, the boy I spent my childhood goofing off with and teenage years spontaneously blowing up into fits of adolescent angst at. He's growing up, as is the rest of my family.

I'm still on the outs on how I feel about growing up.

Meanwhile, I'll be lucky if I have a chance to breathe this semester. It's my last one in college and this means...
* classes in marketing, advertising, and creative writing
* departmental honors in which I'm writing a big paper about social networking (I will try to stay as un-biased against Facebook as possible. That will be harder with Twitter.) which I get to present in our school's annual Festival of Scholars in April
* independent study program where I'll get to continue writing my fashion column for the school newspaper, but will explore the world of column writing in general
* work at both jobs, in my school's marketing department and as a writing tutor
* the 3 clubs I'm a member of

Winded yet? I am. Yet at the same time, people have come to expect constant business from me so on many levels, this is hardly surprising and nothing new.

Not on the list, but still very important are also:
* Blogging and Tumblring, my online loves
* Spending as much time as possible with my friends. Which won't be much time, but I'll find a way to make it work out.
* Jobs: The Search Continues
* Uh, if possible, try to avoid male distractions. They are somewhat to blame for that C+ in one of my classes last semester. 'Try' is the operative word here; I have ADD around guys and like a new one practically every week.
* Watch new seasons of Project Runway and Glee.



Life.

It's nonstop. Chaotic. Turns and twists and heartbreak and loneliness and joy and aging and birth and new destinations and old places all wrapped up in a big venti Starbucks cup.

Things might be bad and sometimes return to that bad place. Luckily, we remember just when we might have forgotten just how much we mean to one another and how very much just our presence makes such a difference to others. People say this all of the time and it remains a solid truth throughout the ages.

Everyone's got a good heart. I just know it.

Love to you all,
Heather

PS: A big, big thank you to Dibbly Fresh and Fashion Pearls of Wisdom for the awards!

11 comments:

Vinda Sonata said...

hi Heather, this is interesting! i love your view in giving, you're right; that doesn't depend on the amount of the money we have.

good luck on your study and i smiled at the 4th point of "not on the list" >> avoid male distractions.

Unknown said...

This was an interesting lot to think about, what happened in Haiti was dreadeful and so is what is happening to Conan. I am shocked what is going on in the world, and fortunate enough to not be part of it.
XOXOX
Libby
http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

So much going on - wordly, politically, personally, professionally... makes my head swoon too!

Thanks for the kind comment and suggestion- I've heard of the Onion but don't go much. I will def check it out.

Enjoy your weekend :)

PS: Fab new header!

Nina said...

You have such a generous heart!

English Rose ♥ said...

You are so wonderfully generous - I also feel compelled to donate to Haiti, its just so awful

My thoughts and prayers are with your brother, he should be proud for being so brave =]

Thanks so much for your lovely comment dearest, so sorry for the insanely late reply!

Stay safe and chic darling,
English Rose x
http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

Liya said...

beautiful post
i too don't have endless funds but am hoping to contribute somehow to the disaster in haiti
as for your brother, i wish him well!!

good luck with classes too, dear

myglitteringcreation.blogspot.com

Amanda Lalique said...

wow very insightful post. It is heartbreaking for Haiti I cannot even imagine what they are going through. Good luck to your brother as well!!

xo
http://mandalyzing.blogspot.com/

Phoenix said...

Well, at least you're keeping busy... if I don't stay busy then I get myself into trouble :)

It must be hard to see your brother go...I really can't imagine what it would be like to have a sibling pack off for the Navy or Army and be unsure as to when I'd see him or her again...what a brave thing to do.

I too am planning on donating to the Haiti relief - what a huge disaster this is when a country that can barely run is devastated by such a huge tragedy. There has been so much life lost already... we can't afford to NOT help.

I wish you well with all of your assorted projects and endeavors!

kim said...

Heather,

You are the sweetest. Anxiously awaiting a new post from you. Love the picture of the heart fishing.
XXX, Kim

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have so much going on! I couldn't agree with you more. Conan 'O Brien is too talented and has worked too hard to let NBC do this to him. I'm sure he'll land on his feet at Fox. I know his ratings will be through the roof when his show debuts. And I wish your brother the best of luck. His service to his country is very appreciated.

the girl in grey said...

Whoah; what a life!
XO THE GIRL IN GREY