Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Bitch is Back


What do Karl Lagerfeld, Jonathan Adler, Nylon Magazine, and Bryant Park have in common? They're really digging Barbara Millicent Roberts.
Check it, she even got her own show at Spring '09 Fashion Week in Bryant Park.


I am not one of those freaky "Barbie does not promote healthy body image in girls" blah blah protesters. Those women never knew the luxury of Barbie and the Rockers and the light-up bracelet that came with them. When I was little, I had lots of Barbie and Disney Princess dolls and I enjoyed dressing them up and making up stories in their one-story house I had (and later added on some additions with some arty shoesboxes).
I like Barbie but the older I got, it disturbed me that for a woman of such a versatile resume, her wardrobe was largely composed of pink. Pink dresses. Pink shoes. Pink shirts. Pink skirts.
Yikes.



Nylon magazine has a spread on how to look like Barbie in this month's issue but surprisingly, nowhere is the fact that MAC had a line of Barbie-oriented cosmetics out for a short while there. That's okay, they're attempting to promote their new Hello Kitty tie-in right now which judging by the commercials, looks like an absolute eyesore.


Designer Jonathan Adler took it into his own hands to create an actual Barbie "Dream House" in Malibu, CA for Miss Roberts upcoming 50th.
"Barbie was a dream client because she doesn't exist as a person," Adler said. "She exists as fantasy and is the perfect client because she's always happy and fun and loves everything. I thought to myself, 'How would Barbie live?' What I thought was Barbie would have a house that is glamorous, kittenish, chic, colorful and happy — as well as functional."
-Jonathan Adler
I don't think Barbie would love her house decked out in solely blacks and whites with a coffin instead of a canopy bed though. Me likey that idea though.


A colorful house huh? This bedroom makes me want to go running to the nearest toilet and hurl. This much pink is just not right.



Ken who? Model Baptiste Giabiconi steps in for the blonde dud's shoes with a new line of Barbie dolls as photographed by Karl Lagerfeld.
That's love, dollface.
Listening to:
-Kate Ryan Surrender
-Ercola Deep At Night
Love to you all,
Heather

No comments: